PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From zero to CPL and FI: Cost in UK (Merged)
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 21:30
Robbiee

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ApolloHeli
Well they use R22's at the moment but I believe they're transitioning everything to the R44 as some students are too heavy for the R22 to be practical, and with an R44 the school can bring two students and more fuel for a longer trips. Two students splitting flight time away & flight time back for better and more diverse Nav etc. Just allows them to offer better more interesting training rather than always flying circuits in the same airfield like many ATOs. The difference in the course between the R22 or R44 as it stands only appears to be £8.5k across a 130hour integrated course (i.e. £65 per hour). Whether that's worth it is subjective; it may be overpriced in your opinion, but to others it might be justified.
Ah yes, the donuts and cookies crowd has always been the 22's Achilles Heal,...or the "swoll bro" types as well, I suppose, but I suspect there are far fewer "Arnolds" than "Homers".

As for "circuits", as you call them, I did many of them at many different airfields during my training without an R44,...even did a couple (hundred mile plus) cross countries, so I don't really see much benefit there, but whatever.

Anyway, an extra £8.5k would certainly help while trying to live off entry level pilot pay, so for those who desire to shell out more dough for the same line of ink on the same piece of plastic,...?

You're crazy!