PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 20:26
visibility3miles
See and avoid

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
As to flying VFR at night...

(My training included several hours of IFR training under the hood.)

[Edited to add that I've had actual IFR instruction, including flying through clouds, but not enough to try it solo.]

Everywhere I've flown under VFR conditions at night in the USA, there are so many lights on the ground that there's no chance I could confuse which side is up, at least under conditions I'd risk flying.

I can easily imagine that most of Australia is far darker on the ground once you get away from coastal regions, hence far harder to discern a horizon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F...r._plane_crash

July 16, 1999, John F. Kennedy Jr., son of US president John F. Kennedy, died when the light aircraft he was flying crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts....

The official investigation by the
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that Kennedy fell victim to spatial disorientation while he was descending over water at night and consequently lost control of his plane. Kennedy did not hold an instrument rating and therefore he was only certified to fly under visual flight rules. At the time of the crash, the weather and light conditions were such that all basic landmarks were obscured, making visual flight challenging, although legally still permissible...

Last edited by visibility3miles; 22nd Jan 2020 at 23:29.