PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 07:48
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
I've never seen a 180 turn in IMC as a safe way of regaining VMC, especially so for an inexperienced pilot. As someone wrote earlier, it is likely to end in disorientation and a spiral dive, which will probably end in tears, even if VMC is then regained. I say that after experience of first obtaining an IR for fixed wing in 1978 and rotary wing a year later. These days I regularly operate RW from field locations, flying VFR to an IFR transit (and usually back to VFR).

I've stuck my heretic neck out before in saying that it's often safer to reduce power and descend straight ahead to regain VMC below cloud then to carry out the 180 turn. Obviously, this won't help if the pilot has flown up a blind alley in the hills, but then neither would getting into a spiral dive because if your first visual reference on breaking cloud is the steep side of a valley, you might well find it impossible to quickly re-orientate yourself.

One good example which sticks in my mind: About twenty years ago I was required to operate by night, flying an unstabilised police helicopter at a site with very little helipad lighting (less than that required for public transport) and no cloudbase measuring equipment. For that job, we were not required to hold an IR and we therefore received no recurrent instrument training, so I was mainly out of practice, although to hover at night one does need to scan the flight instruments. One night the met forecaster got it very wrong and an occluded front brought the cloudbase right down to 200 feet agl, rather than the expected 800 to 1,000 feet. We had flown earlier that night before the weather front arrived and the forecast at that time had seemed reasonably accurate. We launched again later to a vehicle pursuit but we hit cloud almost immediately on departure. I descended straight ahead to VMC, carried out a VERY low level circuit and landed safely back at the helipad and went for a cup of tea and informed operations we were offline due to weather (while we recovered our composure). Less than two hours later, the same front caught out another police pilot from an adjacent county force. He also entered very low cloud, but he descended in the turn, became disorientated and hit trees adjacent to the helipad, One occupant was killed in the crash and both others were badly injured.