PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDC Begins Passenger "Funneling" re 2019-nCov
Old 21st Jan 2020, 23:14
Response Ability

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDC Begins Passenger "Funneling" re 2019-nCov

I'm a SLF.

The first patient in the US has contracted the very fast moving 2019-nCoV. (A new SARS-like virus first seen in Wuhan, China)

The United States' CDC has begun "funneling" passengers entering the US from Wuhan, China. This entails re-ticketing US bound passengers from the Wuhan region so that they arrive into US airports that have bio-screening in operation. Currently KSFO, KJFK and KLAX are bio screening having screened over 1,000 passengers since Friday, Jan 17, 2020. To come online this week (Jan 21- 26) with the screenings are KATL and KORD. I took this info from a CDC telebriefing that is an mp3 recording publicly available at the CDC website (cdc.gov) via a big link on the right side of their home page. I don't have enough posts / membership time to post the direct link but perhaps you can figure it out cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0121-Telebriefing-Coronavirus.mp3 just ad the ht and the ww in front.

My understanding from the telebriefing is that no redirecting is involved in the "funneling." The CDC is proceeding aggressively and I welcome it. Other US government agencies are already involved. Globally things are moving fast. The tele briefing is being transcribed but until that is available, the mp3 recording is available. The actual tele briefing begins at 34:38 into the mp3 file. Our cherished media reporters were afforded a limited Q&A so you can hear one of their main sources. There's lotsa info in the tele briefing regarding the one patient, when and where he travelled, the care being given to him and his own, educated early reporting of his symptoms.

I imagine the employers have already started briefing crews.