PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 22:22
no_one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents

Hi all,

It seems that every few weeks there is another GA accident in Australia where the likely cause is a planned VFR flight into either night conditions or IMC. I don't have the data analysis to support this but I suspect that the accident rate is getting worse. It seems to me that the concept of "dont fly in IMC as a VFR pilot" is about as effective as the abstinence method of birth control among teenagers. Is there something better that can be done to prevent this type of accident?

With each of these incidents I reflect on what I would have done differently if I were in the same situation. The danger in this thinking is to lump it all into the term "pilot error". It is too easy to dismiss the accident as happening because of some shortcoming in the pilot that crashed. If you find yourself thinking "well I would never do that" then you are probably underestimating the risk. Many of the pilots who crashed were experienced pilots and its not like the pilots that have crashed took off with the intention of crashing on that flight.

I have some thoughts on what we can do to prevent this sort of accident but before I post them it would be good to get some feedback from others on the forum.

It might help to break the thoughts into 3 groups,

1: In the years before up to the crash. eg training, equipment, ...?
2: In the hours before up to the crash. eg planning, weather,
3. In the minutes before... eg pilot actions, ATC help/intervention.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by no_one; 21st Jan 2020 at 22:22. Reason: spelling