PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Software Issues Found on the MAX
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 21:48
crankyanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrequentSLF
I would assume that the main issues are the interrupt handling, working with the interrupts on the 286 has been always a pain.
In what sense? A lot of what made the 286 unpopular was its poor backwards compatibility with DOS which was designed for real mode, that ought not be an issue on a system that's hopefully not trying to run DOS.

Originally Posted by MechEngr
That would be the Intel 80286, I expect. However Intel would certainly license the core to embedded systems developers for production at rates and for markets in which Intel could no longer afford to maintain fabrication. For example: Renasas 80C286 went EOL in 2017. Would not be surprised if someone bought 5000 of them for the shelf.
Boeing almost certainly uses a radiation hardened processor (MIL-STD-883) and not a standard desktop CPU.

Originally Posted by MechEngr
I would expect the next generation processor to be an FPGA rather than a microprocessor. I see some links exploring ADA on FPGAs, but it seems to be programming the FPGA to act like a microprocessor.

I'd be surprised here too. These days you can get haardened RISC and PPC based processors that would provide a ton more power and flexibility than a 286-based design. There's also probably a push to use lower cost off-the-shelf components.