PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European short haul Captain emigrating to US. Best Jobs?
Old 21st Jan 2020, 20:21
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilogram
...it looks like if I go on with this particular 135 operator and build 1000hrs PIC, I may just meet the minimum requirement for a DEC entry at a regional. However, you make a good point that my lack of US 121 time may not make me a candidate for it. I also hear Spirit hires 320 guys from overseas (with the right to work in the US of course) without any US airline experience. I'm wondering if it's true and if getting the 135 first and flying there 1-2 years would hinder my chances with Spirit since I would be not current on the 320 by the time I apply.
kilo,

I'm sure no legal eagle nor can I outguess what the HR people think and do (don't get me started on that). My guess is that your A320 experience may offset a lack of FAA Part 121 experience if the Part 135 PIC will meet the requirements of Part 121.436 allowing you to act as PIC in a Part 121 regional...perhaps after a very brief stint as F/O ? Who knows...

MarkerInbound is pretty knowledgeable so maybe he can step in again with some thoughts on the Part 135 vs no Part 121 time at a regional for DEC purposes. I do agree with him that you certainly should apply to Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue, etc. (and everybody else too as soon as you get here to live) where the lack of Part 121 time will be overshadowed by your considerable A320 experience. When these airlines hire people directly out of the military, those pilots have no Part 121 experience. Time in type isn't required at any of these airlines like it is in other places in the world. You're a proven entity in the airline game.

Overall, your large airplane experience is a big plus. You don't need an A320 type rating on your FAA ATP nor do you need to be current in it to be in the running for Spirit or similar airline. They'd make you go through school on the A320 as if you'd never set foot on one.

Hang in there !

Last edited by bafanguy; 21st Jan 2020 at 20:45.