PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT: How Boeing’s Responsibility in a Deadly Crash ‘Got Buried’
Old 21st Jan 2020, 15:26
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by retired guy
I wasn't aware of that to be honest. Let me read the report again. I wasn't aware that the crew had any idea what was going wrong, let alone diagnose the effects of an RA failure at around 1500 feet. I think from memory that the first inkling they had that something was wrong was when the stick shaker went off but I may be wrong.
Remember that by that time the plane was in takeoff attitude of around 12-15 degrees and the airport would have disappeared from view out of the window.
But I think my point remains - the AT can malfunction at any time and it it does (SFO 777) you need to take over the power immediately and if necessary fly the plane to safety. `I don't think I would have known what an RA failure at a 1500 meant except that it precludes at CAT 111 approach and auto land. But as the speed started falling below Vref +15 (approach speed) and long before the other six warning kick in, I hope I would have seen the speed falling below the desired value and applied power.
Anyway good point and I will have a look at the recording again.
Many thanks
R Guy
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Turkish Airlines crew wasn't largely responsible for the AMS crash. The point is simply that Boeing also had some responsibility and worked hard, apparently along with US regulators, to keep references to that out of the investigative reports.