PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Software Issues Found on the MAX
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 13:25
clearedtocross

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n5296s
Rubbish. You can do anything in C++ that you can do in C, and a great deal safer. I speak from much experience. People often confuse C++ with more "automagic" languages like Java and Ruby. C++ has no garbage collection, and if you want to manage memory allocation yourself, including doing everything statically, it's easy. In 2020 doing any major new code in C is a sign of insanity. Of course if you already have a legacy of 10 million lines of C code, like my erstwhile employer, you're a bit stuck with it.
Ok, rubbish if you like. But nobody suggested the FCC should be written on a 286 in C in 2020. That would be truly insane. It's questionable if the FCC should have been developped from scratch on a new platform and new soft and comms resources, but here we are in the old hamsterweel territory regarding re-do or update.

The last thing I would like to do is trigger off a debate in this forum about what's the best program language for this and that. However, I would bite my tongue off without the remark that if you do not use all the fancy ++ stuff of C++ then you end up rather close to ... you guessed it.

But thank you very much, Fly Airpt, for the link, very interesting read and the results are no surprise to me.