PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking to move to Europe for flight training
Old 21st Jan 2020, 04:05
wolf_44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Looking to move to Europe for flight training

Hey guys, first post here and I’m looking for a bit of advice.

I currently live in Australia and have a PPL and an aeronautical engineering degree. I am looking to go to Europe to do further training and end up with an EASA (frozen) ATPL. I’m not a national of an EU country. From what I know, an EASA licence is accepted worldwide, which is why I am keen to train in Europe. I would love to live and work in Europe but I understand that getting a work permit is very difficult (tried applying for engineering jobs in Europe as well but got nowhere with it).

I am looking for some advice about where I should go to train. I have looked at schools such as OSM Sweden, Pilot Flight Academy Norway, Patria in Finland and Keilir in Iceland, but I am open to considering other schools. I speak fluent German but I haven't found any flight schools in Germany that allow non-Europeans into their programs. (Lufthansa would've been the dream!)

Also, what would my job prospects be? From what I have looked at so far, I haven’t found any airlines looking to hire foreign nationals with low hours. (Singapore airlines and Cathay are the only two I found with second officer programs) I'd be happy to work as an instructor/charter pilot or anything else within or outside of Europe but I am yet to see any company/flight school willing to hire foreign nationals without guaranteed working rights for these jobs. I am hoping having an engineering degree as well helps me out, but not having working rights in Europe is a big disadvantage.

Would really appreciate some advice from people with similar experiences.

Cheers