PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European short haul Captain emigrating to US. Best Jobs?
Old 19th Jan 2020, 19:56
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilogram
I'm considering a 135 operator flying Cessna 402's because it will allow me to sleep home every night (and other conditions that just seem ideal until family adjusts to transition). Final goal would be of course a major or an LCC but I wouldn't have a type rating on my FAA ATP. I do have a 4 year degree. Would I have a shot at a major or LCC after building about 1000hrs PIC on a light twin flying Part 135? Or maybe could I qualify for a DEC at one of the regionals that offer such opportunities?
Kilo,

You didn't mention the country from which you'd be coming or your nationality (I assume you're not an Aussie) but you must already have legal ability to live/work here so you've cleared the major hurdle.

As for being legally able to be a DEC at a regional, you'd have to run that potential Part 135 piston PIC time through the filter of FAR Part 121.436 to see if you'd legally meet the FAA criteria to be a DEC in a Part 121 operation:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

The other consideration would be whether a regional would take you on as a DEC under the path you're considering even if you legally meet the FAA criteria to be one. Perhaps your previous large airplane time would be a positive factor in the minds of your target regional. And you won't need any type ratings on your FAA ATP as any carrier you'd work for here will provide type trainings.

In any event, best of luck with your plans. Let us know how it goes for you.