PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next time you are asked for the hydroplaning speed...
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:42
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I should have realized the obvious when it comes to reverted rubber hydroplaning but for some reason it seems like new info to me. Water is required for this kind of hydroplaning. To quote the same report...…..

"The scrub markings on the runway surface in the latter stages of the landing rollout indicate that substantial heat was generated between the tyre footprint and the runway surface, which can only occur when water is present on the surface. Tyres skidding on a thin layer of water heat up the water so that scrub markings form on the surface, and these could be associated with hydroplaning. "

Actually, I might disagree. The only time I saw flat spots on the tires on an aircraft I was crewing was a King Air where we had a frozen brake(s) and landed on a runway with 100% hard compact snow. But I suppose the snow melted then created the flat spot. Or maybe it was straight scrubbing of the rubber. Who knows, after all hydro does mean water.

The report with a link in my first post is actually quite interesting about hydroplaning and runway texture properties.

Last edited by tcasblue; 19th Jan 2020 at 13:00.