PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much does a go around in an A380 cost the airline?
Old 18th Jan 2020, 23:11
turbidus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aside from all of the witty comments, safety is primary, but there is a cost that has to be looked at, especially if the issue is repetitive.

Costs are the first reason why we look at mitigating the issues, especially if it is recurring.
It may be further pilot training into that aerodrome..training for ATC, or even new procedures.

For an airline to do something, there must be a cost.

It does not always mean anything to do with the crew or ATC... It is one thing to identify and issue, is is quite another to quantify an issue. If an issue is repetitive, the airline looks at ways to mitigate the issue.

My work is in wake turbulence separation. I do a lot of work in DXB...there are windhshear issues (morning vs evening), fog layers, and wake turbulence... I also do a lot of work at LHR, AMS, HND, and others on the wake sep issue. A cost benefit analysis is done to see if the cost to itigate is worth the costs due to the issue.

I remember a "perfect storm" issue with an A388 into DXB....GA due to windshear, had to divert to AUH to due the time to get back in pattern and crew max time issues. The cost to divert and customer reroute/hotels was over $400K.

Last edited by turbidus; 19th Jan 2020 at 12:55.