PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta emergency @ LAX, dumps fuel on school playground.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 15:25
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerie1
What R Guy has to say about getting it back on the ground ASAP is very sound advice indeed. Of course there are checklists and SOPs that must be followed. And even for the most severe emergencies, there is usually time for a careful analysis, as was done by the QANTAS crew before landing their A380 at Singapore. But there are also times when the SOPs may no longer be appropriate. And it is on those very rare occasions that crews really earn their salaries.

There can even come a time when the only option may be to 'throw the checklist out of the window' and just stuff it on the ground. I would not normally advocate such an extreme measure, but it worth thinking about.

Have any of the readers of this post ever been in the situation where there is a fire on board? Or when the wing is burning as it was in that 'WE' event? Have any of you stopped to consider what are the absolute minimum actions in such a case? It is worth contemplating that possibility and having at the back of your minds exactly what are the minimum essential items on the type you fly that must be carried out to ensure a safe landing.

You never know, it may come in useful one day.
SLF & attorney - not commenting on lawsuits though (other than to say, Gloria? Gloria Allred? - it's all so predictable).

Also wanting to stay out of volleys about throwing checklist out, landing without delay - but quoted the above as a context for this:

So when I read the forecasts of autonomous, self-operating transport category airliners, as well as specific reports about advances in the art and science of making aviators unnecessary in such operations, should I believe that some bright young app-writer already is close to writing the sub-routines (or whatever the parts of computer code involved should be called) that would have handled this fuel jettison situation better, or at least as well, and fool-proofedly, as compared to pilots of the human variety?

Inquiring minds want to know (even SLF + attys).