PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro market pilot saturation
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2020, 07:46
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman
for why t&c’s here are lacking behind the US:
airlines work in a single market but unions can not. Airlines are free to open AOC’s wherever they see fit and hire on different contracts while the unions can only look after the pilots in one country. We should have some sort of pan-european labour protection.
Indeed that is, in my view, the main problem. There is free movement for businesses, capital and, yes, labor, but not for unions. I tried to work with ECA for a while trying to push this forward with the EU, and it went nowhere. I know ECA is still somewhat on that case, but hugely sidetracked by the specific issues of ryanair and to some degree norwegian (not so much easyjet for some reason).

Now, labor laws are in general still a thing for each country and they do differ wildly, therefore of course union law does as well, as does the right for industrial action and so on. Unifying that means deciding on a common lowest denominator, and we currently see the discussion heating up in that area with the discussion about an EU wide minimum wage, which in my view is quite dangerous if it is not a percentage of the average or living wage but rather a fixed amount of money. Economies are still very different indeed within the EU, as re labor markets.

And that allows employers to exploit that, which some do, some not so much.