PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 fatal accident - tail boom failure?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2020, 01:46
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is ancient history. The single, key point of the entire report is on Page 29, bullet eight (8):

"There have been no in-flight main rotor loss of control accidents in the United States involving the R22 or R44 helicopter since early 1995, when the Federal Aviation Administration issued airman information alerts, airworthiness directives, a flight standardization board report, and Special Federal Aviation Regulation 73, all of which pertain to the operation of the R22 and R44 helicopters."

Fly, instruct and maintain it right and it will treat you right. Fail to do so at your own peril. There is no better example of this than to compare US accident rates vs. those outside the US where SFAR 73 or it's equivalent has not been respected.

This is not to say there haven't been improvements to the breed. Bladder tanks, new rotor blade designs, etc., all have been helpful in reducing accident rates or the results thereof. But the single most important improvement is SFAR 73, which is really applicable to any two-bladed, teetering, low inertial rotor head design. Of course there really aren't any flying except the Robinson product line, with the possible exception of the Mosquito and Rotorway homebuilts.

I do have to say, however, that while it was easy to understand my instructor's admonitions with respect to low-G maneuvers and turbulence, their focus on smooth and small control inputs was not quite as obvious. This latter point is not well covered by either SFAR 73 nor the usual cohort of helicopter aerodynamics references, although it does make sense from a general pilot skills perspective. That said, watching mustering operations in the R22 tends to provide some conflicting evidence in this respect (not that I've done this personally). However I have had demonstrated, by my instructor, how repeated, aggressive control inputs can drag down rotor RPM.

Fly the machine you have, not the machine you wish you had.