PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro market pilot saturation
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2020, 23:51
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Olympia463
I had applied to join Glasgow University Air Squadron - I didn't get in - too many applicants that year, but I did have the full RAF medical, aptitude (in a Link trainer), and attitude tests, which took all day in the nearest military hospital. Why do the airlines not do this?
But some airlines do still do this.

The airline I am most familiar with puts prospective recruits, even those already holding medicals, commercial licences and perhaps with thousands of mil/civvy hours through a selection processes that amongst many other things will involve a short assessment session in a simulator.

Further to that and also to answer LanceHudson's comment that:

.I left UGSAS two years ago now, (we are now Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde Air Squadron) and everyone is required to sit the full 8-hour suite of aptitude tests at Cranwell in their first year - although it is not a requirement to pass to join the Sqn.
L3 airline academy? 45 minutes on a computer!
Folks..at the risk of being controversial I'd make one observation...if say, the RAF or an airline is paying for some/all of an ab-initio's training right from day one then they are going to insist on some form of fairly rigorous screening prior to that training commencing because they are carrying all the financial risk if the student gets the "chop" (can we still use that term?) during the course.

If, OTOH, the student (or his/her parents) are carrying all the financial risk then the training organisation(s) might perhaps have a slightly different approach to aptitude tests.

Last edited by wiggy; 18th Jan 2020 at 12:12. Reason: Spolling