PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you tell me what flightdeck these are from, taken September 1961 at RAF Changi
Old 17th Jan 2020, 19:11
ARCHIE1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by navstar1
Archie1 Could you remind me what was the purpose of the two boxes positioned above the green satin? I remember all the other instruments but my mind is a total blank on those boxes! I think we also had a "Eureka " down by the window which was a great help coasting in at Masirah from Gan. The Britannia was a beautiful looking aircraft and a pleasure to navigate. Happy days/
Compass amplifiers, navstar1, the control boxes for the port and starboard gyro magnetic compasses which feed all the other compass displays around the flight deck (correction: apart from the standby compass which we are lacking on XM496 at present). You could select pure gyro here for polar routes but magnetic monitoring was the norm. Actually, I don't remember using Eureka in the Britannia. Maybe a senior moment, maybe another era but I don't see it on the photos here or on the diagram I have in front of me. I'll have a browse through the manuals when I'm next on board.