PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta emergency @ LAX, dumps fuel on school playground.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 16:39
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by retired guy
Hi NWA
I am not following this too well but then that's probably me being a slow learner.
What has ATC got to do with crew actions? The Captain tells ATC what is going to happen, Not the other way around. In an emergency even more. ATC are there to facilitate. A daily example is Captain to First Officer:- " request ATC to go around that severe thunderstorm five miles ahead. "! Hear it all the time.
When I was a bit younger when Pontius was still a pilate, sorry pilot, we would say "Hi there ATC, we are going to deviate right or left around a CB - which is your preference". And they would give you a steer. Another thing one sees in any recent Air Crash investigation programmes, is the constant asking ATC or even "base control" for assistance in emergencies. ATC can do very little to assist apart from keep you away from other traffic, or more accurately keep them away from you. It is just that I don't understand your point about ATC "giving them a runway". Or "plan altered by ATC". Am I missing something here please. I do all the time so apologies.
R Guy
boom. What this guy says. My Man.