PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2020, 14:31
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piperpa46
I'm guessing cargo aircraft accidents don't count as major accidents?
Atlas Air 3591 and UPS 1354 springs to mind as perfectly good aircraft being crashed in the last 10 years.
You are very observant and quite right. I do safety talks to nervous passengers a lot and I use stats that only include passenger airliners since those are the ones that are of interest to the travelling public. I flew with Dan Air once and flew the 707 that crashed the soon after in Lusaka when the tail fell off - cargo, and lost a good friend in that one.
It is a fact that cargo flights are often badly or not reported unless they hit a block of flats in Amsterdam and take out lots of people on the ground.
So yes I did exclude cargo flights and I also exclude military ones since most of my listeners are not likely to be in an F15 any time soon.
But that is why this forum is good. You don't get away with anything inaccurate or murky so thanks for bringing it up. Hope that clarifies matters
Cheers
R Guy
The list below is all major crashes on passengers planes with multiple fatalities in the last ten years sorted in the left two columns by region and the right two by airline.
It is interesting how most of them are in less well know places or with airlines that I have never heard of (my ignorance) and that I would be very unlikely to fly on in the normal course of events. The yellow ones are the exceptions. Lionair AF 447, Germanwings, the two Malaysians and Ethiopian.
If I have left out any please let me know folks because I keep updating this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_D...eing_707_crash

Last edited by retired guy; 17th Jan 2020 at 14:32. Reason: typo