PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta emergency @ LAX, dumps fuel on school playground.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 14:00
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
During certification, manufacturers are required to demonstrate that dumped fuel cannot impinge on the aircraft structure in any flight conditions, so there is no inherent danger in dumping fuel with an in-flight fire.

That said, with a fire on board, the time used flying around dumping fuel might be more prudently spent in getting the aeroplane on the ground ASAP instead.
Indeed Dave they do which is why the dump chutes are at the wingtips as shown in that 777 video at LAX. That said I agree with you that getting the thing back on the ground with a fire is a really good idea.
Whiskey Echo 707 1968 LHR (Google it folks) was back on the ground in less than ten minutes I think from start to finish and had that not happened nobody would have survived. Yes there are arguments that the Fire Drill was incorrectly actioned which led to the fire..............etc. But Taylor knew that the only thing you need to land a plane is the wheels down and some flap if you have it. And VRef of about 160 which covers any situation. Nothing else at all. No FMC, Not performance data computers. No moving maps. Just look out of the window and land it pdq.
Having observed training over several years recently I have been amazed at the lack of urgency with getting back on terra firms after a severe failure. So on one engine, which has effectively blown up and now been 'secured' via the Engine Fire and Severe Failure checklist, it can take anything from 20 minutes, to over an hour to "work the checklists".
Not sure how it was in your day but that seems a long time flying around on one engine with an engine that has been burning.
Cheers and thanks
R Guy