PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2020, 09:07
chris1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSCL
Have you ever tried driving in to Switzerland?

Don't forget you'll need to pay for a vignette in addition to the car rental company fees for cross-border. Driving across the Swiss border isn't always an easy task if you don't have Swiss plates on.. expect to be searched.

Also hiring a car in Switzerland during ski season, you're likely to have a car supplied with winter tyres on. In Munich? I doubt it. Not as simple as it seems from the armchair.
Armchair? I do this regularly so I am the one with experience thank you. Flew to ZRH a month back and into Austria. No queue whatsoever at border.

I flew often from Man or EDI to Munich but next month from NCL which will save 4 hours minimum each way, You pay €10 for 10 days for the Austrian vignette. Nearly all the cars from MUC have winter tyres and yes the rental costs are far cheaper than GVA and far less chance of being caught speeding.

Plus Hipennine is correct in saying that you don’t pay for skies on Lufthansa economy flex saving around £75 return compared to the locos.

All I was saying is that the airport have missed an marketing opportunity to get the route off to the best possible start by not promoting Munich’s proximity to the likes of Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen and so forth. Times have changed and most people don’t want a charter for a week into Innsbruck or Salzburg.