PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do CFIs make?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2020, 07:04
MrAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prices are assessed before the start of each membership year, then adjusted if there are any significant cost increases. Many years prices have stayed the same. Unfortunately though, we're expecting a 28% increase in rent imminently and the engineering labour rate is going up by 13%. I have no choice but to pass those costs on. The most frequent changes are due to fuel price fluctuations, which sometimes results in a reduction. The instructors got their last increase during the last significant revision of prices. I'm not at the airfield at the moment so cannot check exactly when that was. In the end we have to remain competitive with the plethora of other operators on our home field and, to a certain extent, those at other airfields in the wider area. We offer what I like to think is a "best practice" and honest product, but far too many new students and renters are only interested in what they think is the best price.

In the final analysis, if my income falls below a certain level (and it's already below minimum wage on a per hour basis) it's time for a drastic rethink or perhaps even time to sell up!