PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secrecy of Radio Communications
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2020, 21:17
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
you miss the difference between broadcast and message. As a licensed radio operator, you are entitled to pass messages on behalf of passengers that have nothing to do with aviation. An example “boss would you ring 5674534 and tell mrs. bloggs that her husband wants her urgently to reduce the reserve on the house by $20000 and sell it quick smart..” You are legally entitled to pass that message, but you and any authorised station listeners are prohibited by law from divulging or making use of that information.

If this was not the case then the regs would say that you are not allowed to use the radio for anything other than operational comms. That is what was taught to me on my marine VHF and HF Courses many years ago. I know it’s unlikely that this would arise today, but it’s still there.

To put it another way, if someone asks you to send a private message on their behalf or you overhear one, you aren’t supposed to blab about the contents. This is the same confidentiality condition that applies to Telstra, Optus, etc.

....and yes, I have heard hubby telling the missus he has to work late and then call the girlfriend saying he will be right around.

Last edited by Sunfish; 16th Jan 2020 at 21:37.