PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bloomberg Report: Boeing Mocked Lion Air Calls for More 737 Max Training Before Crash
Old 16th Jan 2020, 08:27
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
......... that the problem we're discussing is actually quite localized; it was Boeing Co that designed and produced the flawed airliner and FAA that didn't stop it from going into service. Not Tupolev and Rosaviyatsia. Not Embraer and ANAC. Not Bombardier and TCCA and especially not Airbus and EASA.
Aviation is as safe as it is today, in no small part by our ability to learn from the mistakes made by others; pilots, engineers, baggage handlers, ATCOs ... CEOs - we can all learn. As sky9 observes, I'd really hope that everyone is looking in at this and wondering "how could I improve what I do day-to-day given the commercial and other pressures I face in my workshop/office/cockpit/ramp?".

Never has there been a better case of "There by the Grace of (insert your own religious/other Deity) go I!". "Finance" is "finance", "humans" are "humans", "CEOs" are "CEOs" (even some CEOs are human .... well, almost!), "Regulators" are "Regulators" and "Customers" are "Customers". After years of working in various capacities, in various organisations dealing with various outside stakeholders, what has struck me are the similarities in so many organisations and business relationships. Mainly because humans are involved!

I've done things in the past and then gone "WTF?" when I've suddenly paused and thought a bit more about what I have just done. I've also seen countless cases where others have done things and, when queried, gone "What's wrong with that?" and got a bit "huffy" with H 'n' H or whoever brings up the question. These can often be senior, experienced folk who know better going and doing something daft.

The checks we build in to doing whatever it is in Aviation are there for one reason, to pick up when someone slips up. But even that is not foolproof and things slip through the net, particularly if all involved in the QA process are subjected to the same pressures. Not every error which gets through the system leads to an accident/incident and so they just sit there, un-noticed. Others................!

Just an observation! On reflection tho, I guess, to an extent, you are correct Clandestino - it is localised. Localised to where us human beings are involved!

Cheers, H 'n' H