PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta emergency @ LAX, dumps fuel on school playground.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 22:48
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbidus
I remember the old days, when fuel was cheap, aircraft routinely dumped fuel on approach. I lived on the FP to Lindbergh Field and my car as always covered in oil.
When was this? I'm not aware of a time when aircraft routinely dumped fuel on approach. Half a century ago blue ice did sometimes rain down from 727's with faulty drain mast heaters though. Did it taste like oil?

Attached to this post are a couple of edited clips on freqs 124.9 and 127.85 that VASAviation was unable to locate according to their video linked above. They are in .zip format and will open on a computer but not on most phones and tablets. Not much new but they did check in as an 'emergency aircraft' although I didn't hear them explicitly declare an emergency and recite the MAYDAY's. In recent years I've been told to declare an emergency so the feds don't get you later for not checking the airport weather when it's clear and a million or landing without figuring some second segment climb gradient corrected for pressure altitude.

And in all of these ATC clips no mention that I've heard of doing a fuel dump or the engine actually failing, just compressor stalls and 'nothing critical'.

Originally Posted by tdracer
Which way was the wind blowing (during the day it's nearly always out of the west around there)?
Tower winds in one of these clips given as 240 degrees at 7 knots.