PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta emergency @ LAX, dumps fuel on school playground.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 22:32
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by canyonblue737
who is talking about landing with a tailwind east? not me. again I stick to the point, you have two options I see... stay west of the airport by just a few miles and dump over the ocean because you’ve secured an engine that was just experiencing a simple compressor stall (which was the plan ATC was clearly expecting from the crew as it is not uncommon out of LAX in these situations) OR if the PIC wants to land right away you do what they did which is enter a normal pattern to land on the same west bound direction they took off from overweight, but don’t dump on the kiddies. It was good VFR and landing overweight with a secured engine doesn’t require special A game ability as you put it... I’ve done it personally and it’s just another landing, just with a write up and inspection at the end of it.
As others have noted, I think it's probable that the crew temporarily forgot they were dumping and failed to stop before they turned back over LA. As for an overweight landing, there is a big difference between being 10,000 lbs. heavy and 100,000 lbs. heavy. Given their planned destination, 100k lbs. heavy was likely when they had their engine problem.