PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Startle" Effect during type rating training.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 13:39
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centaurus
That seems to me an extraordinary teaching and someone's personal opinion. If the aircraft has rolled nearly inverted (wake turbulence for example), alternating control inputs in order to get wings level again can only delay the aim of the exercise which is to get wings level as quickly as possible, remembering it could be in IMC. Jerking the aircraft not only increases the chances of structural damage but is an extraordinary way of flying on instruments.
To see-saw the aircraft just to "see what happens" means to me the pilot doesn't quite know what to do next and is buying thinking time.
It's NOT "see-sawing" or "jerking" the aircraft about, its making a number of same sense control inputs to return the aircraft to normal flight, correctly ,accurately & in an expeditious time frame, not a rushed reaction . In fact you're more likely to cause structural damage with large, long inputs, and more likely to overcompensate for what is actually required. I don't care what you think, It got me through my IR flight test, (recovery from unusual attitudes with partial panel) on both sides of the Atlantic so hardly "someone's personal opinion" is it?