PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Startle" Effect during type rating training.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 13:16
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
For unusual attitude recovery, wake turbulence etc I was taught from basic training and also on the Chally course, to do it in stages (a bit like "blipping" the stab trim), so input - back to neutral - see what happens- input again - back to neutral - see what happens & repeat until back to normal. I don't know how it can be done any other way, especially on instruments.
That seems to me an extraordinary teaching and someone's personal opinion. If the aircraft has rolled nearly inverted (wake turbulence for example), alternating control inputs in order to get wings level again can only delay the aim of the exercise which is to get wings level as quickly as possible, remembering it could be in IMC. Jerking the aircraft not only increases the chances of structural damage but is an extraordinary way of flying on instruments.
To see-saw the aircraft just to "see what happens" means to me the pilot doesn't quite know what to do next and is buying thinking time.