PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Startle" Effect during type rating training.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 12:04
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centaurus
That is true. Readers may recall the CL604 Challenger that lost control after being affected by wake turbulence from an A380 at high altitude over the Middle East . The investigation revealed excessive and inappropriate flight control inputs by the pilot of the Challenger exacerbated the initial roll caused by the wake turbulence. It recommended that rather than instantly countering an initial roll caused by wake turbulence, it is better for pilots to delay corrective action for a few seconds until wake turbulence stops and then recover.

This avoids the rapid change of airflow that can occur depending on what angle the wake turbulence was encountered and in turn minimises the tendency to not only over control but to inadvertently apply control in the opposite direction causing significant airframe damage. The Challenger suffered severe damage during the recovery process with severe injuries to some passengers.

See: https://avherald.com/h?article=4a5e80f3
For unusual attitude recovery, wake turbulence etc I was taught from basic training and also on the Chally course, to do it in stages (a bit like "blipping" the stab trim), so input - back to neutral - see what happens- input again - back to neutral - see what happens & repeat until back to normal. I don't know how it can be done any other way, especially on instruments.
With regards to "startle" training itself, I think it works well for some people less well for others. People are different and learn differently so there is no one "right" system. But whatever techniques are used, I don't subscribe to the old idea that people must "suffer" in order to learn something. Confidence is the key to performance in my mind as long as it is checked, and not over confidence of course.

Last edited by Private jet; 14th Jan 2020 at 12:15.