PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tower at Mildura
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2020, 10:38
On eyre

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss58
Thanks Griffo.

In relation to On Eyre's post I think Griffo has covered all the points in his post.

I most certainly do know the distinction between the functions of a FSU and ATC. and no, not too young to know the difference having just turn 61 and been employed in the aviation industry for over 40 years. And of those, 16.5 years as an FSO and 6.5 years of that served in YMIA from 1984 till its closure in 1990.

To a person we had great positive feed back from aircrew both airline and private pilots.

Don't get me wrong, No sour grapes here. I have a great job with one of the major airlines. It just always seemed a shame to shut down a system that seemed to work.

Fly safe and and play hard.

Cheers Greg
My point was that the current mix and numbers of traffic at YMIA is markedly different to what used to be experienced back in the day when FSUs existed and provided that excellent advisory service. It was not air traffic control which is what some people seem to want now. One has to question what level of risk is acceptable for RPT (jet or not) in so much of regional Australia where controlled airspace is impracticable but that debate could go on forever depending on your point of view.

No slur was meant on previous FSO’s by the way.