PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GS mini versus VFE
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2020, 03:35
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Quote from vilas:
"It has to do with gain modulation of flight controls. F3 is very sensitive so F full handles better."

Yes. I'm not going to show my ignorance of the current A320 FCOM regarding recommended flap settings in windshear (and I wonder if the A321 might be different). But, back in the last century , the apparent skittishness of the A320 and A319 with Flaps 3 on the approach was said to be something to do with the fact that Flaps 3 is also a take-off setting.

Using Flaps 3, as Unhooked advocates, raises the VFE by 7 knots,if memory serves. But the GS-mini will itself be 5 knots higher to reflect the higher Vref.

BTW, does anyone want to comment on my technique for avoiding VFE exceedance in on the approach in a strong, gusty headwind when the runway headwind is considerably lower?
As per the FCOM I quoted, in approach with flaps full the GSmini limit is VFE177-5=172kts a margin of 5kts from VFE and in approach with flaps three the limit is VFE NEXT which is 177kts while the VFE flap3 is 185 i.e. margin of 8kts from VFE Conf3. So the extra protection from VFE offered in CONF3 is a mere 3kts as compared flaps full. If you consider the much less drag of flaps 3 it is easier to exceed VFE in 3 than in full. The comfort factor is only imaginary. There is no dispute about using FLAP3 in expected windsheer conditions or where better climb gradient is required.
citation 2 I used the word gusty conditions what I meant was turbulent conditions.
Last thing, instead using home made pickles why no one in all these years asked the manufacturer what his idea is about the matter?

Last edited by vilas; 14th Jan 2020 at 04:25.