PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2020, 02:55
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
I don't get why some people are so bent out of shape about the folding wingtips on the 777X. It's not like it's the first time that commercial aircraft have used moveable surfaces, or even moveable surfaces that need to be prevented from moving in-flight (a thrust reverser deployment in-flight is already known to be catastrophic).
Take a look at the folded wingtips in this photo - does that look like it would be even remotely difficult to control if it happened in-flight?

Boeing's already into the 777X development something like $10 Billion (not to mention what GE has invested in the GE9X development). Heck, last time I was at Paine Field there were at least six completed 777X aircraft parked there (and that was two months ago). Sure, FAA/EASA oversight is going to be heightened after the MAX fiasco, but if Boeing can't certify the 777X, they might as well turn out the lights because the company won't have a future.

I do not think or see the folding wing tips on the 777X to be an issue for certification, they are well documented and pretty hard to hide. The hidden extras in the "completed" aircraft are what will hinder certification.

Now there may well be none (hidden extras) but currently not a regulator would take Boeing's word on that. To date Boeing still have not shown a transparent side so till that changes lights are optional.