PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do CFIs make?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2020, 20:03
spitfirejock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't agree more with BEB, I've been banging this drum for some time now (although maybe too softly!).

25 years ago the US was HALF the price of a typical UK school for equivalent CAA approved training....I could understand then why prices stayed low for some time in the UK to try and compete. Even so, around 50% of trainees came overseas as a result, and why not? Why pay double?

Today, things are very different. EASA approved schools in the USA are typically charging $260-$285 an hour, are chock a block full with students with long waiting lists to get a place. The currency exchange rate is in the UK's favor also, just do the math! The price increase has been necessary, in part, due to the steep rise in Instructor pay necessary in a market which is short (now typically $50 per hour plus $20 for ground). So why on earth would a UK school be willing to charge less and pay less than this? Why would any instructor, under today's conditions work for peanuts?

I suggested, in one of my previous posts, the idea of schools increasing rates only to see replies such as "my school would be out of business if I did" If the UK cannot charge at least the same as US schools per hour something is, sadly, very wrong indeed, especially when you factor in US travel, accommodation and visa and TSA expenses for travelling overseas which makes the UK even more attractive from a cost standpoint.

SJ