PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short, hot & high takeoff prep
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2020, 15:33
double_barrel

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. I like the importance of the right mental state for not trying to climb out too steeply. In fact, before I started flying, an acquaintance was killed by hitting trees on take off. I had always assumed that she just flew into them. On reflection a panicked pull back followed by a stall-spin is more likely.

Originally Posted by n5296s
My spine ran cold (does that really happen?) when I read the question. My answer as a fairly timid pilot these days is "don't land there in the first place". As described, this has a very strong chance of creating an NTSB (/AAIB/...) report no matter what you do.
As I begin the transition from student to pilot, I want to try to ensure that I become better/safer rather than letting skills and knowledge decay. Personally, I like to do that by challenging myself while managing risk. I found in other fields that it's easy to become complacent and assume it will be ok, while allowing experience and diversity of experience to shrink. So I want to very carefully keep pushing the envelope. Given my environment that means learning to use dubious strips safely. I hope that makes sense? After all, nothing is risk free, I believe that 30% spare take off distance would be luxury for a big jet!? I posted here to help learn all I could from the experience. Thanks to all.