PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'I'm in a helicopter here that costs £550 an hour, okay'...
Old 12th Jan 2020, 13:36
jellycopter

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Joel Tobias

I'm not going to comment about this incident as I know nothing about it other than what is posted here. I suspect that there is some journalistic license and sensationalism, but can't be certain. What I can comment on with certainty is Joel Tobias.

I first met Joel about fifteen years ago when I was a freelance Helicopter pilot and instructor. He got my number from a friend as he wanted to learn more about helicopter flying. At the time he was an inexperienced PPL(H) pilot who was a little frustrated that his flying was often curtailed by the vagueries of the British weather. This contact lead to over 100 hours of advanced flying training in many disciplines including his night rating, mountain flying, instrument flying and bad weather appreciation. We flew throughout the UK over several years; he simply wanted to experience what helicopter flying had to offer and to improve his own skills and knowledge. I was always impressed by his preparation and enthusiasm which surpassed many of the 'professional' pilots with whom I've worked over the years.

A self-made man and success story in business he was, and still is, generous to a fault. I know of many occasions when he has given his time, and his helicopter freely to others less financially fortunate than himself. On one such occasion, a helicopter landing at a school in Manchester for a friend's son's school project required a CAA congested area approval. Joel had the professionalism, and in-depth knowledge of rules and procedures that he organised the approval without prompting. (I have flown with many PPLs over the years, and this knowledge and adherence to procedure is not that common).

Sure, Joel has his faults. Who hasn't? He could be accused of being 'a bit flash' which is borne out by some of the photos posted on this thread. Notwithstanding, I am happy that my client-customer relationship had developed into a long standing friendship.

If you're reading this Joel, don't listen to all the bollocks and sour grapes. I'm sure if this incident is anything like what is portrayed here, you'll be the biggest critic of all.

JJ