PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS feeling effects of global pilot shortage
Old 12th Jan 2020, 05:00
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jnvivier
How did you get started with Freight driving? Asking for a friend...
The easiest way is to look on Seek using the keyword "Locomotive". Entry-level drivers jobs are usually titled "Trainee Locomotive Driver" or occasionally "Trainee Train Driver", but using the more general Locomotive means you'll catch qualified jobs as well and can tweak your resume to show what you'll eventually be doing. IF you're in Auckland, TransDev is Currently advertising for Trainee's for their 2020 schools but I think they're the suburban trains. If you do come across one that you'll apply for, sell your mechanical aptitude, understanding of physics & maths - inertia/gearing/levers etc, ability to work as part of a team, but also independently as needed, a good communicator to liase with Train Control & Signallers, etc.

Off the top of my head, once you've done your training in the classroom and are qualified to go out as a Driver's Assistant/Fireman/Observer/Second Person, you should be on around $60K, depending on the company. Classroom training will be around 3-4 weeks depending on company and another week or two to qualify as a DA. Qualified driver's, depending on company and depot, will be on between $110-190K. To get qualified as a Driver, from off the street, will take 12-24 months depending on company needs. The blokes that do the "relay working" (sleeping in a crew car as the train travels with the 2nd crew on the loco) out of Adelaide to Perth & Darwin are at the upper end of that salary range. Queensland Coal Driver's around the middle and general freight are in the bottom third or so - but overtime can boost that significantly. Time spent away from home adds up too with various allowances.

A word of warning: There is shiftwork, then there is railway shiftwork. It isn't "Oh, I've got 0400's all next week". Trains run early, late or are cancelled altogether. Fatigue can be a huge factor depending how far you have to drive for work and if you don't make an conscious effort to keep fit, you will find yourself struggling to pass the medicals as you age, it is a very sedentary job. That being said, I've been doing it for 14 years and I wouldn't do anything else - flying included.