PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2020, 17:59
fizz57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis

The other is the "Elevator Jammed Landing Assist System", added because...?
"If a jam occurs in the aft elevator control mechanism, both control columns have a limited range of motion. During approach and landing, the Elevator Jam Landing Assist System uses the flight spoilers for small changes to the flight path."

In an email exchange on 5/29/2015, our favorite Jedi Master is talking with his sidekick about the "jammed elevator/DLC" (I don't know what DLC stands for.)

"I suck at flying jammed elevator without DLC"

"It's tough, huh?"

"I crashed big time my first few times, that's what scares me about showing this to any of them. You can get decent at it after 3-4 tries, but the first few are ugly."

"

I found the next bit particularly interesting. They discuss the need for training for this situation, but don't want to spoil the commonality with the NG. Someone suggests incorporating the training on the NG as well - "if you can do it on the NG, you can do it on the MAX". However the problem with that is that "that would be admitting the difficulty of flying it on a model that has already been certified"

All perfectly legal and above board (at least according to some), and I'm sure it gives all 737 drivers a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.