PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you fly your non-precision approaches?
Old 14th Nov 2003, 18:38
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree with Mike there!

SAS & KLM use CANPA (don't remember the other ones but there are a lot of Companies doing it. Braathens, Malmų Aviation, Austrian and Lufthansa if I remember correctly). But the EAG (that make the charts for these companies) always have a DME vs. ALT table on their charts, and Jeppesen hasn't yet gotten around to doing this as far as I can see; only partial tables not covering the entire approach. And this is sort of a requirement for flying a CANPA IAL; the PNF must call each DME and state "On profile or slightly high - next D13 @ 2360ft" etc. This way both pilots will stay in the loop and are forced to monitor the AA every NM. Works like a charm, and you won't get any mode confusion (I'm sure we've all tried changing mode just as the AP goes into capture - and you end up with either PITCH/IAS or remove the ALT SEL or something...". You'll end up with a stable ROD, only small power changes are needed and you'll arrive at minimums with a small pitch-down, thus giving much better forwad visibility! Just like on an ILS.
I first thought that this procedure would give increased workload, but once you get used to it - and that won't take long - it's much easier and more comfortable than the old D&D style approaches.
But on to the original question; how do I fly my NPAs? Well, as it happens to be, my present employer hasn't yet introduced CANPA, and I sure miss it. So much easier than the seemingly endless fiddlin' with the MCP that we're forced to do with our current SOPs. But instead we're waiting for the CAA approval for FMS/baro-VNAV approaches, which will be esentially a CANPA. I've tried it during the initial testing phase, and let me tell you that D&D is a thing of the past...