PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Jobs
Thread: ATC Jobs
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2020, 19:57
escaped.atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
Boring, perhaps; but judging from your assessment of modern entrants, more professional & more sympathetic too?
As I've inferred before, there's always a danger that we older controllers think the younger generation have it easier and are not as good. I'm very conscious of the fact that different generations have different attitudes and priorities. All I can say is that when I was coming through the system, the vast majority of my colleagues had at the very least a keen interest in all things aviation. A lot had flying experience and had perhaps worked with and around aircraft in one form or another - that seems to have gone. My personal opinion is that is easier to train someone who really wants to be there, someone who has an aviation interest and someone who is a well rounded individual. Not saying that doesn't happen anymore, just maybe not as much. Harsh? Maybe, but just my opinion and experience. I don't know what the latest recruitment requirements are but an initial aviation knowledge obviously isn't a prerequisite.