PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'I'm in a helicopter here that costs £550 an hour, okay'...
Old 10th Jan 2020, 09:53
Nige321

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'I'm in a helicopter here that costs £550 an hour, okay'...

Expensive rant...

A high-flying managing director has been fined £1,600 after he subjected a female air traffic controller to a vitriolic mid-air rant whilst attempting to land his private helicopter on an airfield.

Wealthy businessman Joel Tobias, 52, had been flying his wife and family to the Lancashire seaside but fell foul of Andrea Tolley when he radio-ed in demanding he be able to land at Blackpool Airport.

Miss Tolley had not been aware of the incoming flight yet when she tried to ask Tobias to wait.

He began berating her over the airwaves claiming she had failed to return earlier messages.

During an angry exchange on frequency 119.950MHz, Tobias - who also runs an Aston Martin car and a motorbike - told Miss Tolley he wanted her name and raged: ''I'll be putting a complaint in.

''Your job is actually to take calls from aircraft and not have two-way chats with other aircraft asking how their day's going and how fun it is.

''I'm in a helicopter here that costs £550 an hour, okay, and I've waited ten minutes for you to answer the call - it's absolutely appalling.''