PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where was this control tower - Can anyone assist
Old 10th Jan 2020, 02:12
prickly

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MakeItHappenCaptain
According to a builder who was working on the YBAF terminal several years ago, these buildings (and sure he mentioned one or two overseas as well) were all built off the same plan to military specifications and were designed to be able to take an artillery round or similar and remain standing long enough to be evacuated before it collapsed in on itself. Apparently the Archerfield building simulated a carrier deck alongside the tower (? Dunno, just what I was told) with the "Admiral" (CO?) and his family residing on one of the floors.
In China mid 80's all Terminal buildings were identical at most airports, not Beijing or Shanghai(hongchiuo) but Xiamen, Hangzou, Kunming, Xian, Tianjin, Nanjing, Dalian and a few others I have forgotten. But as I said all identical as were the apron areas, taxiways and runways only varied slightly. It was our unpleasant duty on turnarounds to have to climb the stairs to the 3rd floor to submit our return plan after getting met and then notams etc from 3 different rooms. They were all Korean grey inside and out and where a hint of a smile was obviously prohibited and the all pervading stench of stale urine permeated everywhere.

But there was a master plan I guess, like the 3 in OZ