PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2020, 13:42
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Ah, I'm confusing posting times. I see my original post was well over a day ago and so I can confirm what anybody with any curiosity and access to GE will already have discovered, it is Invermere airport (CAA8).
GE looks v brown cp your shot
The valley can be very dry and parched at the end of the summer.

Concerning my aircraft rental riddle, it was a Super Cub on floats! In the early 90s, a friend of mine who had just got a float rating at Invermere, took me for a ride. I hadn’t flown floats for 15 years, but the flight rekindled my enthusiasm. A few weeks later, I was on a weeks holiday, staying in a cabin on Lake Windemere (bottom left of the picture). The first weekend, I drove up to the airport and enquired about how long a checkout would take. “Oh, about an hour” was the response, so we went flying.

After my checkout, which reconfirmed what fun floatplanes are, I asked if I could do some flying during the week.

“Well, we’re not very busy during the week so why don’t you take the keys and the logbook and settle up at the end of the week?”

So I had my own floatplane for a week. I spent a lot more than I had planned to!

The Super Cub was stored on a ramp by the road bridge, where the Columbia River flows north out of Lake Windemere. An interesting feature of the photo is the prominent valley. This is the Rocky Mountain Trench, a 1600 Km rift valley, which runs from Montana up to the BC-Yukon border. It is a very obvious feature from space:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Trench

Asturias has control.