PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing to Recommend Sim Training for MAX Pilots
Old 8th Jan 2020, 00:31
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old,not bold
My point is that if the software/hardware has been properly fixed, repeat properly, there would be no need for special training on how to manage it if and when it goes wrong. The special training should not need to be part of the solution. If there is no longer a problem, what is it for?
I guess the most meaningful answer is that it just doesn't matter how necessary the training might be, if the question were being considered under other circumstances. In the context of the events since October, 2018, no one is going to take the risk of letting the MAX return to service without an approved fix and training. You might think of it as a belt-and-suspenders (braces) approach or you might think of it as a gigantic, multi-entity CYA operation -- but it ain't gonna happen any other way.

Here's a random question. If there is a sensor disagreement =>5.5 degrees MCAS will not operate. OK, but if the crew can, without MCAS, manage safely the pitch-up condition in which MCAS would operate if the AOA sensors agree, what exactly is MCAS there for?
The official answer, I'm sure, is the same as before: MCAS is just there to make the stick force gradient compliant with the regs. Lots of folks would like to see the results of bare airframe testing to help them decide whether they believe that.

Last edited by OldnGrounded; 8th Jan 2020 at 00:32. Reason: Typo