PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!
Old 7th Jan 2020, 14:09
SSDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Some advice

11 Years in. 1 GA and 2 different low-cost jobs in Europe - and I'm still quite happy and motivated.

I have another degree and managed to work in an office for a few different companies before pursuing a flying career. I hated it. The 9-5, get up at the same time every day is my personal nightmare. I'm actually one of those rare people who likes what most people hate in the job when it comes to that.

And yes - some days can be horrible with snow, delays, long days and so on. But when I look at how much free time I have in comparison to my old colleagues in the "civil world" and what I get paid to do it it (not that I'm rich), it's totally worth it.

A fed words of advice if you want to "manage your happiness" in this industry:

- Try not to complain too much. Many people complain over the most trivial things in most companies. It will slowly eat you up, and it will become your world view. I'm lucky to be in the left seat. I can set the tone of the day, and I refuse to do/listen to a 10hr "this company sucks" monolog.

- Never put too much financial strain on you life. Everybody wants the biggest house, car or whatever they can get. Keep your life spending at a reasonable level and save up some "OH ****" money for a rainy day. Be sensible!

- Follow the advice from above and try and go part time (70% or even less) when you can. You will do very little actual work in most companies if you can get it. The money will most likely still be ok...

- Think long and hard about getting a job too far away from where you have your life. Friendships etc. needs to be maintained and the more lonely you get, the more you tend to focus on the little details you would normally "sweat" at work. The biggest complainers are always the ones who are most lonely.

- If you don't find flying "your thing" anyway then quit (and try someting else) or try and get a new job. 90% of the time a change of scenery will change your perspective. It did for me - twice.

Anyways. Good luck!