PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where was this control tower - Can anyone assist
Old 7th Jan 2020, 03:21
aroa

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Jungmeister is 'spot on' . And the OP said he was member of RACSA. I recognise that !
My aircraft days started as a RACSA 'hangar rat' during school holidays in '55, which gave me a lead in with Tigers (prop swinging, taxying, refuelling) until I started learning the manipulative arts of aviating in March '57.
All over grass, no radio... light signals, no brakes ..it was fun alright. Low flying, spinning and engine restarts were all part of the process. I can thank those crusty old ex Wartime guys who taught me... and well.
My tatty old log book still has the old brown WAC section showing the first cross country from PFD to Port Pirie. After a bite to eat, a solo prop restart and off back to PFD via Gawler. A basic intro to "magic carpetting" flying off to some place youve never seen before. And later get lucky enough to see things some have never dreamed of. Drat.!.. that was 63 years ago... and time waits for no man.