PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots get free flights on other airlines?
Old 6th Jan 2020, 21:48
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExSp33db1rd
Wot's Staff Travel ?

Having been told on joining B.O.A.C. in 1958 that the Staff Travel Concession continued for Life once one was in receipt of an Airways Pension at normal retirement at the then age of 55, many years later I subsequently accepted voluntary Severance at the behest of the Company but it also suited me at the time, and one condition was immediate, albeit reduced, Pension payments and re-emphasis that the acceptance of pension payments entitled me to Staff Travel for Life. Changed circumstances at final retirement suggested a move to New Zealand, and with Staff Travel and "Agreements" with partner airlines enabling affordable tavel to UK and USA that was "alright".

Yeah ! Right ! In 2009 Willie wotsisname , the then CEO, invoked S.T. 2009, a change of rules which decreed that I was too old, and now too long retired to qualify for the Staff Travel that I had worked for, and been promised, so piss off. Note: .. Board Members still qualify for Lifetime Staff Travel regardles of previous years of service, as do Iberia staff, part of the same IAG group still controlled by the aforementioned Willie - how amazing !

If I wasn't convinced that my APS pension wasn't related to the continuing existence of B.A., I'd actively support any movement to put them out of business, no chance, but I can certainly ensure that none of my hard earned pension is ever used to buy commercial tickets, and never have since they kicked us "oldies" - who worked to create the once proud airline that the present Board have the pleasure of working for - out.

I actually don't disagree with the provisions of S.T. 2009, which ensures that those who only work for a relatively short time don't eventually qualify for more years eligibility for Staff Travel in retirement than they worked, but those later kicked out didn't join under those rules, and were "promised" S.T. for Life. Newcomers have the chance to choose whether or not to accept the present, more restrictive, concession. Those recently kicked out were given no choice. Nice.

In answer to the initial enquiry ... My recollection is that wheras after a certain length of service one qualified for at least one "free" trip per year, this was never available on partner airlines acknowledging reciprocal staff travel agreements.

Yours in disgust,

ExSp33db1rd ( in fact I'm so pissed off with B.A. that I an seriously considering changing this moniker)

Willie's little second cousin is a very long tenured CEO in Australia.

A connection working for the said airline (Captain 25 plus years) had family trying to get on a flight on Christmas day.
Given that the floors of bureaucracy had been vacant for weeks, they were surprised that there was so much "Duty travel" with no date of joining.
Which was informed means new "management" class, which given the changes to staff travel have about 10 minutes of company time.