PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!
Old 6th Jan 2020, 21:03
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
I gave up flying for a career more than a decade ago for a career driving trains. I've been doing that for 14 years come this Thursday and can't imagine doing anything else. I still get paid to look out a window (Contrary to what my Yr 11 English Teacher said would never happen...) I do work with some deadset morons, but also some top-notch crew whose numbers fortunately outweigh said morons, I've been able to pay off my house, buy a new 4wd as well as build an RV-9 that I fly for fun with my young bloke - and I'm still under 40!

I'm fortunate to have been able to transition to a part-time roster so I only effectively work 107 days a year yet still earn over $100K but get so much more time with the family than I would have ever got with a flying job - but with the RV I can still fly where I want, when I want. If that is 500' down Victor 1 past Sydney at 170 knots, or taking Mini-Me to Temora to see the Spitfire fly, I can. I don't have to deal with dispatchers, passengers or "security". Flying is supposed to be fun and if you make a career out of a hobby, that can wear off all too quickly - I've seen it dozens of times in Rail. "I wanna drive trains..." says the train buff, yet after a year of shiftwork suddenly the appeal has worn off and they are gone. Don't make that mistake if you are in a good career you enjoy already. Fly for fun and enjoy it.

I fly as SLF regularly for work and have occasionally talked to the tech crew when they appear for a potty break, and while all have said they still enjoy what they do, almost universally, they have said they would never do it again were they to have their time over. For the senior Captains, it's typically because flying today "isn't what it used to be", for the FO's and junior Captain's, time away from their family, constant sim checks, the possibility of the airline going under, lack of hand-flying opportunities lest they upset the QAR and get a please explain and sometimes even a perceived lack of progression all got a mention.