PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!
Old 6th Jan 2020, 18:01
Steepclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to love flying.

I wanted to fly from a young age. I used the money from my first week's pay, actually first month to book my first flying lesson. A week's pay wouldn't cover it. On the day I caught two buses and then walked several miles to the flying club where I finally took my first flying lesson. Was I enthusiastic? Absolutely.

​​​​I was hooked. After we landed I was dizzy from the effects of the flight and the excitement. After that I dedicated all my money and time to my dream.

But I gather you haven't even had a flying lesson? I see you're in love with aviation but for the pilot it's all about the flying. It's the compensation for putting up with all the BS as laid out above.

You should at least take some lessons. Aim to go solo. No need to commit to anything. If you find it's a passion and you love to fly. Nothing will stop you.

If not well you tried and made a rational decision that it isn't a sensible career. Then you've only lost a few dollars.

I've come to believe that one of the reasons there are so few female pilots is that women are far more likely to take a cold hard look at the realities. I think your post is an example of that.

But I won't try to talk you out of it. Many pilots wouldn't do anything else and some come to hate it. So you need to get it out of your system. Dip your toes and see what happens. I also wouldn't discount a career in aviation. Lots of opportunities there for the ambitious.

As for me? Fell out of love with flying eventually. Recently a friend dragged to Africa to do some bush flying in his new aeroplane. I wasn't nervous I was bored. He offered me a chance to get checked out in it. I said no.

My 18 year self would be horrified. Not that flying wasn't fun. One day while flying skydivers there was the usual banter during the climb between the tandem instructors and me. One customer spoke out . 'You guys' he said 'have the best job in the world.' For one moment I suppose we did.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Steepclimb; 6th Jan 2020 at 18:54.