PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!
Old 6th Jan 2020, 07:54
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess what I'm looking for is current/former pilots to "talk me out of it". If you had to start over today in your thirties leaving a good career behind, please tell me why you would not recommend it. Or if you've left your pilot career for another one. It would really help.
I wish there were options to travel on the jump seats... But I suppose I was born 20 years too late for this.
I did the reverse, left a flying career in my late thirties (not airlines) that I loved, for a more financially secure job.

In the new job I was looked after and was with people I loved working with doing interesting stuff but... sitting behind a desk I gradually felt more and more unhappy as years went by. I tried flying part time but too much to do 2 jobs then as a "hobby" for a while but both hated having to pay for something I was once paid to do and felt frustrated because I knew my skills were losing their edge compared to when I was flying full time.

The desk job helped pay off a mortgage though but after a number of years I started to hate the job, despite the way I was looked after and rewarded.

I have now come full circle and am now back exactly where I was, flying again (for the same company I used to fly with) and am much happier.

Financially not as good, less secure long term but happier.

Depends on what you want in life and how much of an aviation tragic you really are (or discover yourself to be). How important is security and money to you? Do you have people dependent on you? Are you willing to take a risk? Worth trying a flying lesson or two just to see.

NB there are other options than just airline pilot (not as well paid usually - sometimes poorly paid in fact but sometimes very rewarding in other ways).